Monday, July 21, 2014

Step 1: Find an Agency

By now, many of you know that we have decided to adopt. While we are thrilled with this decision, and excited/anxious to start the process, it's new territory for us. As such, I have been reading everything I can get my hands on in regards to adoption. The first step is to pick an agency. Picking an agency is much like picking a college; you have to find the right one. 

This brings us to our very first agency visit, which in the interest of not announcing names until we have selected one, we will call Agency A. Agency A is located about 45 minutes away from our house, it is a small agency, but fairly established. We went based on their website, and the fact my mom had heard about them. 

Most agencies offer seminars. The seminars last for about two hours, and are basically all PowerPoint. This being our first one, made me a little nervous. Ok, incredibly, hand sweaty nervous. First off, these people could possibly be the ones who help us get a baby, so we couldn't look like hot messes. Second, the other people in the room are our baby competitors. Needless to say, I was a hot mess. I forgot to get directions, and we left way later then we should. 

With B driving a safe amount over the speed limit, we made it to the agency about ten minutes late. When we went to the door no one was there, so I rang the bell, only to see a sign that directed us to another door. Because we had rand the bell an agency worker went to the original entrance to find us, but then had to sprint to the other door to let us in. Major fail. Since we were late we sat in the back of the room, and awkwardly introduced ourselves. Not only we were we the only ones considering domestic adoption in the room, we were also the late ones. B's major concern was the fact he couldn't get up and get a cookie. 

With a gentle reminder to B of our priorities, I began to take notes Cornell style on the presentation (yup, I was that person). About ten minutes in, we realized that all the information we were being given was for international adoption. Both B and I know we want domestic, for the main reason that we want a newborn, and most international adoptions are at least six month olds by the time you take them home. 

Since the presentation didn't really pertain to us, I decided to get up to use the restroom. Being in the back of the room I had a pretty easy exit route. I only forgot one thing, that I am awkward, and clumsy. So as I was sneaking out, I tripped on my own foot. Not falling on my face tripped, but enough where people looked. I then got lost on my way to the bathroom, and back. The same agency worker that let us in helped me find my way. She probably thought I was a mental case. If you ever need a definition of hot mess, you will see me on that day in the dictionary. After I found my way back from Narnia (aka the bathroom) I centered myself and made a goal not to be too much of a spaz. I had still only missed the international adoption information, so I could at least be an informed spaz. 

Eventually, they did get to the domestic aspect of adoption, but it was clear that it wasn't their focus. Although we had nothing to compare them to, we knew this wasn't our fit. Our priorities and goals didn't align with theirs, and we didn't get that feeling that it was the right place for us. So we went back to the drawing board. 

It wasn't a complete waste though, because it gave us some insight to what we want as a couple, and how we envision our family. We knew more strongly what we were looking for. Have we found it? You'll have to wait for our next couple posts for that! 




No comments:

Post a Comment